Pontypridd Town Council is a Town Council that came into existence on the 1st April 1974 under the then Local Government Re-organisation.
Pontypridd Town Council has 23 Councillors covering 11 Wards. There are in excess of 30,000 residents within the Town Council area and as such Pontypridd Town Council is one of the largest Community Councils in Wales.
The Town Council is responsible for a wide number of services including:
- The office of the Town Mayor
- Bus shelters
- Public seats
- Open spaces
- Small Grant Scheme – grant funding
- Pontypridd Museum
- Taff Meadow Community Centre
- Coedpenmaen Common and War Memorial
- War Memorials in Rhydyfelin and Cilfynydd.
The Town Council in partnership with Rhondda Cynon Taff County Borough Council set up the Pontypridd parkrun which takes place at 9.00am every Saturday morning in Ynysangharad War Memorial Park.
The Town Council organises annual events including:
- St. David’s Day celebrations
- Ponty’s Big Run For Fun
- Vintage Transport Day
- Remembrance Day Service/parade
- Christmas Switching On as well as putting up the Christmas lights in Pontypridd Town Centre.
- The Town Council supports the KRUF Walk for Life and in 2014 in partnership with Rhondda Cynon Taff held an event in Pontypridd to commemorate 100 years of the First World War/Armed Forces Day
- Ponty Fun Day – in partnership with the Town Centre Team and Ynysangharad War Memorial Park
- Mayor’s Charity Christmas Concert
- Carol Singing in Pontypridd Town Centre
- Christmas Card Competition
The Town Council is headed by the Town Mayor who is elected annually in May. The Town Mayor is the Civic Head of Pontypridd.
Being at grass roots level the Town Council is able to act as a springboard for public opinion to the larger Unitary Authority (see below Services) and has a statutory right to comment on planning/licensing issues.
The Town Council welcomes the views of residents in respect of its services and responsibilities.
Rhondda Cynon Taff County Borough Council – Sardis House, Sardis Road – 01443 494700
- Bus Passes
- Council Tax
- Dog Warden/fouling
- Refuse collections
- Social Services